The Dermalogica Shave system consists of dual action products that deliver a super close shave and the ultimate in skin health.
It begins with signature products customised for your skin. It continues with distinctive ingredients tailored to meet beard growth needs. It ends with a smooth, close, irritation free shave, and better looking skin. Skin looks better, feels better, and suffers less from the common problems associated with shaving.
Simply put, shaving is a form of mechanical exfoliation. Shaving triggers a high level of visible irritation and can serve as a form of over exfoliation, as well as lead to a compromised lipid barrier. When the skin’s lipid barrier is compromised, there is an increase in moisture loss, which leads to dry, scaly, cracked skin, and a sensitised skin condition.
Further dehydration can occur in the lower layers of the epidermis when the skin’s lipid barrier is compromised.
A dehydrated skin leads to inefficiencies in the physiology of the skin, in particular, enzymes responsible for normal desquamation.
Skin dryness can increase skin’s susceptibility to a various number of shaving concerns,
including Pseudofolliculitis barbae (ingrown hairs and razor bumps), razor burn and sensitivity.
A = Normal hair follicle.
B = Follicle growth inhibited with skin build up due to too close a cut or skin abrasions.
C = Coiled hair growth under thin layer of skin.
D = Hair shaft entering another follicle.
Causes to shaving problems
1. Ingrown hair
2. Razor burn – Razor burn can occur a number of ways when skin is shaved incorrectly:
– when skin is shaved too closely and too quickly,
– when shaving with a blunt blade,
– when the blade is not rinsed enough between shaving strokes (leaving build up on the blade),
– when too much skin is removed during the process,
– when dry shaving or not using enough lubrication between skin and razor,
– when shaving against the grain, or
– when shaving over already irritated or sensitised areas.
Razor burn is inflammation of the skin that we could classify as Irritant Contact Dermatitis.
Irritant Contact Dermatitis is a reaction triggered by certain substances or ingredients, constant friction (razor against skin) or even water. The symptoms are burning, itching, stinging and redness.
3. Tough, Heavy Beards – Depending upon genetics, ethnicity and hormones, a male client may have a heavy or tough beard. Heavier beards are more challenging to shave, as the hair shaft more frequently clogs the razor, or the razor is not sharp enough to cut through the hair, causing painful scraping and tugging. As such, men with heavier beards are more likely to suffer from itching, stinging, redness, nicks and cuts. In order to ease the discomfort associated with shaving a heavier beard, the beard must be softened, lifted, and the skin must be protected through a shaving medium. However, most products use ingredients that are high in alkali that help soften and lift the beard but leave the skin dry, tight and irritated.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What makes the Dermalogica Shave system better than drug store products?
The Dermalogica Shave system, like all Dermalogica products, is free of the common ingredients found in skin care products that can contribute to skin irritation, sensitisation and an overall decline in skin health. And when skin is not at its healthiest, this makes it all the more difficult to achieve a close shave without discomfort.
Most foams and gels bought in drug stores are completely synthetic, which is not good for the skin. Also, to help soften the beard, many drug store brands are high in alkali, which causes sensitivity and dryness. Dermalogica Shave products include ingredients such as essential oils to help soften and lift the beard without disturbing the skin’s natural balance.
- Do men really need a three part shaving system?
Absolutely. Dermalogica Shave is designed to provide the ultimate barrier against shaving while enhancing skin health so each subsequent shave is improved. The simple and efficient Pre-Shave, Shave, and Post-Shave regime will dramatically improve your client’s skin health while helping to minimise so many of the problems that occur in skin because of shaving. And, the three part system will not require a dramatic amount of time. If anything, the three part shaving regime should only increase a client’s current time spent shaving by 3 to 4 minutes. Once clients experience the benefit of our Pre-Shave, Shave and Post-Shave regime, they’ll never return to simple soap and water shaving again!
- Can any of the Dermalogica Shave products be used by women?
Of course! All Dermalogica products are formulated to deliver healthy skin, regardless of gender. Our Shave products will be especially good for female clients who suffer from razor burn and ingrown hairs in commonly shaved areas such as the bikini line, underarms and legs.
- Will the Close Shave Oil in the range clog my pores?
Close Shave Oil like all Dermalogica Shave products, is non-comedogenic. Oils that traditionally contribute to clogged pores are synthetics (such as mineral oil), and all Dermalogica products are free of mineral oil.
- What is the difference between Invigorating Shave Gel and Soothing Shave Cream?
Invigorating Shave Gel is an oil-free, cooling gel that soothes, hydrates and protects against razor burn. The clear formula allows for optimal visibility of areas to be shaven. Soothing Shave Cream is a rich, non-foaming formula that soothes and calms while enhancing skin’s natural protective barrier.
While both products are designed for all skin conditions and beard types, Invigorating Shave Gel suits clients with oily or breakout prone skin, or who prefer to shave with a gel. Soothing Shave Cream suits clients with heavier beards, sensitive or sensitised skin, or to clients who prefer to shave with a cream.
8a Lavant Street, Petersfield. Dermalogica Skin Care, Massage, Sports, Hot Stone, Bamboo, Body scrubs and masks, reflexology, waxing with hot / hard wax.